Tuesday, March 22, 2011

i am the resurrection and the life

I got to share the story of Mary, Martha, Jesus and the raising of Lazarus (John chapter 11) today at a funeral service.  I have been singing a song that I learned at camp all day in my head...

I am the resurrection (clap)
and the life (clap, clap, clap)
Those who believe in me will never die.

I am the resurrection (clap)
and the life (clap, clap, clap)
Those who believe in me will live a new life. 

I can't remember the verses...but that's at least the chorus. 
I was blessed amazingly this day.  It is wonderful to be in a place to share the good news of the gospel when people are grieving the loss of a loved one.  There is something to be said for the opportunity to be with people, to just be present with them, during life changes.  It seems that a special door is opened into space and time, the opportunity to know one another, the opportunity to be with one another...and to just listen and care for one another. 

I had a wake up call that I was in Berks County today.  The family had set a time in the service for people to come forward and share memories or anecdotes during the service.  Well, before the service there was all sorts of chatter.  When I invited people to come forward, you could have heard a pin drop on the carpet.  After the service - at the funeral home, at the cemetery and at the luncheon - the chatter was back up.  I encouraged people to celebrate this time together...to share stories...so that as they look back at this day, they will have these memories, too. 

It was wonderful, too, to have the opportunity to deepen relationships and develop new ones as I spent the day with the family. 

Thank you God, for all the people you place in our lives...no matter how long that time may be...

+paz

No comments:

Post a Comment