Monday, January 8, 2018

153

And we're up...but I kind of felt this coming.  

This past week has been a tough one.  I mean, don't get me wrong, it started off quite well.  A super low weigh-in last week was a wonderful way to begin the year.  I enjoyed a 5K on the warmest day of the week (at least the sun was out with double digit temps) and took 2nd place in my age bracket.  And the post race eats included some tasty pizza and beers. 


But then a cold set in.  I felt the beginning of it on Sunday...and a little on Monday, but Tuesday morning it began to take hold.  I began the 12 days of fitness on January 1, so I continued those exercises through the week, but cardio was on hiatus.  I completed an easy 3 mile run on the treadmill on Friday and rested the rest of the day.  Saturday morning, spin class kicked my butt, or kicked my cardio, because I had been out all week.  And truth be told, my eating was a bit off, too.  

So a few take aways.  One:  I'm okay with a week of recovery.  Exercise-wise, I had been working hard for the last 7 weeks.  My body was ready for a week of rest.  I'm not back to 100% this morning, but will get to the gym shortly for an easy run and the 8th day of fitness.  I'm thankful on these super cold days for an indoor place to workout.  

Two:  I did miss the regular exercise.  After 7 weeks, my mind and body were used to the routine.  I was enjoying the endorphins, the camaraderie and the routine of it all.  I also missed that time to myself in the morning.  Don't worry, I filled it with extra sleep, coffee and reading, but there was something amiss with it gone last week.  

Three:  Yes, this will be a yearlong journey.  Not that weight loss and exercise are my focus for this year, they will take a prominent role in living a wholehearted life. The way I feel with regular exercise in my life is key to a balanced day for me.  I also generally feel better when I'm eating healthier.  This past week, while I did log into My Fitness Pal everyday, I didn't fully log everything each day.  I will get back to that this week.  

and Four:  It may be time for a new goal.  After completing the 7 weeks of maintain, not gain, I think my mind and body thought, "Oh, it's over. Relax.  Take a breather.  Have a snack and a tasty beverage."  Not a bad thing, for a bit, but this is where I need to shift and not let this behavior become the norm.  

So, looking ahead....I'm back to the gym this morning with the goal of 6 days a week with at least 30 mins of cardio each day (aka - return to routine).  
I'll be regularly logging food and exercise this week through My Fitness Pal.  
Oh, and until this cold is totally gone, a nod to keeping track of my sleep, as well.  I'm ready for several nights of 8+ hours of snoozing :)

I have received so much support over the past several months when it comes to eating, diet and exercise.  Many people have said that I do not need to loose weight because I am fine the way I am.  I am grateful for these words and the continues support.  I do respond to that with the fact that I have been a few pounds lighter and know that my body responds better to exercise, stress and life a bit better when I'm in better shape.  That's where I'm headed.  

I saw this post on Instagram yesterday:


I know my body is capable of great things.  I know that my body is a gift from God and that treating it well is a way to thank and honor God each day.  

I am continually working on loving my body as it is, as it changes shape, and as it continues to grow stronger.  It is one more step along my wholehearted journey. 

Blessings and joy to you each this day.  

Until the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment