Monday, February 19, 2018

153

Another week, another weigh in.  

As the alarm went off this morning, I knew I was short on sleep.  Thankful for a full weekend, but not quite recovered from the lock-in Saturday night, I opted out of the gym this morning.  I went back and forth for a while...to gym or not to gym?  I want to rack up minutes for the Iditarod Challenge, but I also know how sleep impacts not just my body but my heart and mind as well.  So after an extra hit on the snooze button I had a great 4 mile run outside.  

It was a little chilly, but with the sun coming up I was able to navigate the random icy spots on the road from this weekend's snow.  It's one of those days that you wonder if you should run outside.  I know the temps are going up as the week goes on, but I really felt as if a run was what I needed today.  It's one of those days because the route I run has random homes that do not always have their walkways cleared of snow or ice.  Sometimes I double up on back roads because I know it's clearer than the sidewalk.  But I extended my loop today and ended up at the short bridge that is closed to vehicular traffic.  As I approached I remembered that there would be snow there.  Imagine my pleasant surprise when I found this...


You can see my joy as I found a path not only shoveled, but salted as well. It was worth the stop for the photo and the moment of thanks I took.  Sometimes it's the small things.  

I had music on my run today, but I found myself lost in thought and prayer for most of the run.  Reflected on the state of the nation, the range of emotions felt in worship this weekend and the opportunity to lead a lock-in with a small group of amazing 8th & 9th grade girls.  Their ideas and dreams are and will change the world as well know it.  I'm thankful to be in a place to hear their voices and stories and be part of all that they go through, both bad and good.  

Clearly my emotions fueled my run as the second half of the run was much faster than the first.  I could feel the increase in speed and it felt great.  The cross training with spin classes twice a week is definitely helping my running days.  I was super happy to not run on a treadmill today, to breathe fresh air and get a honk and wave from a woman in the congregation, too!  

So, this morning I with the weight back up, albeit just over 1/2 a pound, I can easily become frustrated.   Last week I was a cardio queen at the gym...elliptical, spin, treadmill and a side of strength training.  Boom!  I guess my intake wasn't the best.  Who knows, maybe I've hit a plateau.  
The frustrating part comes in that I'm feeling great, running faster and looking more slender.  Funny how the numbers don't match up with the feelings, huh?  And which do we give more power or more weight?  (HA!)

I had a great chat with a friend at church today who said, "You look great!" Because she's been part of this journey with me I was able to be honest about my weight and my personal frustration today.  We talked through it and I was able to say, maybe it's time for me to ask for help.  Maybe I need the help of a trained nutritionalist.  Or maybe this is a good weight for my body.  If this is where I seem to be hovering, maybe this is my body telling me, stay here, friend, this is good.  
Who knows?  

I will shift my workouts this week and take a yoga class.  I will not focus so much on logging minutes for a challenge and more time exercising in a way that will bring me joy.  I'll continue to log my food.  

And then, this afternoon, out of the blue, another friend texts and says, will you be in the office?  I have snack!  

Well, after no dessert at lunch I totally caved. Hello, caramel.  


Truth be told, it is still not yet consumed.  I'll share it with Billy when he gets home.  That way we can enjoy a treat together.  

I may need to start thinking about different numbers, like sizes of pants, timing of runs and other gains in strength and self-confidence.  I'll keep you posted on those numbers, too.  

Thanks for reading and the continued words and prayers of encouragement.  

Until the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment