Thursday, March 26, 2020

Holden Evening Prayer Homily


Lenten Mid-week homily

March 25, 2020

Please pray with me,
May the words of my mouth and the meditations of all of our hearts be acceptable and suitable in your sight, O God, our rock, our strength and our redeemer.  Amen. 

Be still and know that I am God.

Be still and know that I am. 

Be still and know. 

Be still.

Be. 

So much of Psalm 46 speaks to me this night.  From God being our refuge and strength – and being reminded that we will not fear. 
That God is in the midst of the city, God will help it when the morning dawns. 
The reminder that the Lord of hosts is with us, the God of Jacob our stronghold. 
This psalm speaks to those who are in turbulent times, for nations in uproars, in warring nations, as a reminder that God is in it.  All of it: From the trembling mountains to the roaring seas.  God is in it.  God is present. 

And in the middle of all of it…and several times in this psalm alone, we hear the word selah.  It’s a Hebrew word that may mean forever.  But often times it is placed within scripture, primarily psalms, as a direction.  And the direction it gives?  It is a direction to stop. 
Yup, you heard me correctly, it’s a direction to stop. 
It’s a direction for the reader or chanter or listener of the psalm to stop.
To pause. 
To breathe.
To take in that moment before taking the next step. 

Selah, as Glennon Doyle describes it, "is the holy silence when the recipient of transformational words and music pauses long enough to be changed forever. "(Untamed, p136)

I love that.  It’s holy silence. 

The holy silence when we are invited to listen more closely, or dive into our hearts more deeply. 
It’s the holy silence where God says, hey beautiful, it’s okay, I’m with you. 
It’s the holy silence when just for one second of one moment we (you, me) do not have to do ANYTHING. 
It’s the holy silence when our senses are heightened and we are able to see, hear, smell and feel God’s presence surrounding you, filling you and letting you be free from anything else in that given moment. 

When have you paused lately? 

Or rather, when has God reached out to you and said, selah, stop, child, listen, be, I am here with you. 

Life has changed drastically for many of us in the past few weeks.  It may feel like you were on the treadmill and the incline shot up, and the speed got faster and you are doing your best just to keep up.  
Others of us were not even on the treadmill when it started, and we’ve been dropped on it…not even knowing how this thing works.  You know, like George Jetson, yelling to his wife Jane, get me off this crazy thing!!

In any event. I like to think of selah as God pulling the emergency stop key out of the treadmill.  It causes it to stop – yes, suddenly – but it makes it stop.  So that you must stop. 

In the midst of all the things happening right now, it seems that maybe, just maybe, God wants us to stop.  To be.  To feel and experience God’s presence here and now.  To know that the Lord of hosts is with us and that the God of Jacob is our refuge. 

I began tonight’s homily with a way that helps me enter into the holy pause. 
I often repeat this verse from this psalm to help find that holy pause. 
I invite you to use this when you need that pause. 

Be still and know that I am God.

Be still and know that I am. 

Be still and know. 

Be still.

Be. 

Amen.   

 



No comments:

Post a Comment