Thursday, November 9, 2017

Blessings abound.

November 8, 2017

Please pray with me,
May the words of my mouth and the meditations of all of our hearts be acceptable in your sight, O God, our rock, our strength and our redeemer.  Amen. 

I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. 

As we gathered in the social hall for dinner and a craft this evening, the underlying theme was blessing.  Seeing the middle table filled with food - from tacos to pork and sauerkraut - and other tables filled with people, it’s hard to miss the blessings in this place.  Then as we painted cornucopias, we were reminded, yet again, that they overflow with food and blessings in our lives. 

In a day and age where the daily news lifts up messages of violence and scarcity, it is good for us to gather together and be reminded of the abundant blessings that God has given us. 

It is good for us to be reminded that we, too, are all called by God, just like Abram and Sarai.  We are called and when that call comes, we are to respond with action. 

We may be called to leave places of comfort and find voices that are new to us. 
We may be called to listen more deeply to others and share our own vulnerability.

As individuals we are called, and as the Body of Christ. 

We are continually called to see how we, together, continue to live as a community of faith and how that impacts our country and our world. 

And the good news is that this passage from Genesis speaks a powerful word today in those instances when we are called to leave all that is known behind, when we let go of our comforts and securities and go on a journey – where God leads us – even without having our own map. 

Just this week, last night actually, Billy and I were talking about how long I’ve been in Robesonia.  I said, seven years.  To which I pondered…huh, seven years, that’s the longest I’ve lived in one place – aside from the house where I grew up.  Seven years, that’s the longest I’ve been in one job.  Seven years….and what a journey it has been. 

Just after arriving in Robesonia, my friend Connie said to me, I’m not sure how you did it…you know, moving halfway across the country all by yourself.  I said, I didn’t. 

Held in the thoughts and prayers of the people of Trinity, I began the journey.  But in addition to the way you carried my spiritually, you also physically were present with me.  You send people from Trinity to drive out and bring my stuff, my cat and myself safely to Robesonia. 

Upon my arrival, I was welcomed into a home for dinner and a place to rest while all my stuff was unloaded into the parsonage which was already filled with a pantry of food. 

I did not make the journey alone…I couldn’t have made the journey alone. 
I, we, continue on this journey.
I continue on this journey, called by God, guided by the Spirit and serving the people of Trinity - you all – our community and our world. 

And so the journey, our journey continues. 

The journey may be long, often times, longer than we expect.  It will have ups and downs, joys and sorrows. But it is a journey filled with many, many promises – the most important being the promise of God’s presence to show us the way.  (Juliana Claassens)

May each of you continue to be open to hearing God’s call in your lives, a call that may surprise you, excite you, make you worry a bit, bring you out of your comfort zone or all of the above. 

Know that as you answer that call, as individuals and as a community of faith, we do so guided and guarded by the promises of God.  We will share those abundant blessings through love and care of our neighbor and our world.  We will see the blessings of love and grace and forgiveness multiply as we share all that God has blessed us with and continues to bless us with.  And in the midst of those blessings, God will be there. 

God will go before us, to show us the way.

God will go with us, in the presence of one another, so we do not journey alone.

And God will continue after us, through the generations to come, so that God’s message of love, forgiveness, grace and abundance will be proclaimed throughout the world and throughout the generations. 

And now may the peace of God, which passes all understanding, keep our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus and let all God’s people say, amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment