Monday, November 20, 2017

156.8

And week 2 of following South Beach phase one begins.  
Monday may not be my favorite day.  In fact as the alarm went off this morning, I snoozed and procrastinated knowing that the first thing I would do would be weighing in.   I'm up, weighed in and now on with the rest of the day.  

I'm super pumped about the crazy weight loss this week.  It is pretty serious, but that is to be expected with the first phase of South Beach.  Not only have I cut out carbs, sugars and alcohol, I'm regularly logging my food.  When I do that, I hold myself more accountable.  (Side note, I get that logging food isn't 100% accurate and most people - myself included - underestimate food amounts and calories, but this process has worked for me, so I'm sticking to it.)  

A few things I noticed/experienced this week: 
1) It's tough going to an all you can eat pizza, pasta & salad buffet and just having the salad.  But, as a treat for a small group at church the date had already been set.  So I told them I'd eat all the salad and they should eat all the rest.  All in all it worked.  I'm thankful for my willpower and support of those girls.  

2) Because sugars were off the table, I didn't eat 2 or 3 or 5 pieces of Halloween candy as I was watching tv in the evening, we (my husband and I) either splurged with sugar-free pudding, to feed our sweet tooth or I would have a cup of herbal tea.  I guess I like to eat or snack while watching tv, so I just need to make sure when that happens at the end of the day that it's healthy and that I don't go overboard.  

3) Having a partner going through this process makes a world of difference!  As Billy and I looked at our dinner options - pasta with meatballs, pasta with sausage, salad and desserts - at a church event this week we buckled down and made huge plates of salad topped with meatballs and sausage.   It was easier as we encouraged one another to stick to the plan.  

4) We ate like champs this past week.  From roasted veggie omelets to several new recipes, we felt full each day and that is always a good feeling.  

A new recipe from the Runner's World Cookbook - shrimp with white beans and tomatoes - was a hit.  We will make this again...and have another pound of shrimp in the freezer so we are good to go.  

Zucchini lasagna...or as Billy calls it veggie lasagna with meat. I used the mandolin to make zucchini noodles and layered them with ricotta cheese, homemade meat sauce and sliced meatballs.  I could eat that almost every day.  


And thanks to skinnytaste.com, I found a tasty way to make buffalo tender strips without butter or deep frying.  They tasted great on top of a salad with some blue cheese dressing.  


All in all it's been a good week.  Going into week two I already know it will be tricker than week one.  In the back of my head I know the weight loss will not be as drastic as week one, but that's okay.  

I also know that with Thursday being Thanksgiving, that day will be tricky.  
I've set a few goals for myself.  First of all, I'm starting the day with a good 4.748 mile run in Manchester.  I'll be moving that day before the feasting begins.  
I will also enjoy time with family and the delicious homemade food that I get to eat that day.  
I will go light on the carbs, but will have a bit of dessert.  I will not have too many drinks or apps or desserts that I will not be happy about later.  Also the treat of eating with the family who raised the turkey is a joy and a blessing in itself.  

Cheers to you all this week.  
If Thursday will be tough for you, set up a few guidelines to help get you through the day and when it's all said and done, Friday is a new day.  

Be well.


No comments:

Post a Comment