Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Noon Devotion - April 9


Noon devotion
April 9, 2020
Philippians 4:10-13

Welcome to our noon devotion.
We begin with a reading from Philippians chapter 4, verses 10-13

I rejoice in the Lord greatly that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned for me, but had no opportunity to show it. Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Hey friends,
It’s time to check in. 
It’s Maundy Thursday in a Holy Week that is unlike any I have experience.  So yeah, it’s a strange Holy Week, to say the least, but here we are, continually figuring out how to be church, together, yet apart in such a Holy Week. 
I don’t know where you’re at this week, but there has been a fair amount of social media posts about what you should versus what you could be doing during this time of social distancing. 

One post said,
If you don’t come out of this quarantine with a new skill, your side hustle started, or more knowledge…then you never lacked time, you lacked discipline.  (ouch)
That post was, thankfully updated.  It read:
If you don’t come out of this quarantine with a new skill, your side hustle started, or more knowledge…then…You are doing just fine. 
We are going through a collective traumatic experience.
Not everyone has the privilege of turning a pandemic into a something fun or productive. 
Stay healthy. 

I entered the season of Lent with quite the list of Lenten practices.  Practices that would help me to see and experience Jesus every day, live out my best life (the life that God has in store for me) and to help me love others more deeply and to be more deeply loved. 

That being said, I came up with 11 practices to incorporate into my Lenten journey.  Yup, 11 practices.  My mom replied with “As usual you have taken on much more than I could even contemplate. My prayers are with you and your journey. Personally, I will be working on getting up and going every day.”  My mom, she’s wise. 

Lent began…and then the pandemic hit.  Some of my practices have remained in place others, well, let’s just check in.
1) Read the Chronicles of Narnia.  = Done. 
2) Drink at least 3 Nalgenes of water a day.  Some days I'm really good at this and other days not so much.
3) Write every day. So far, so good. 
4) Write down where I see Jesus - every day = check.
5) Cut out sugar.  Ha!  That was good, until the pandemic hit.  Homemade cupcakes by Chase last week and Lucky Charms for breakfast this morning…it is what it is. 
6) Set time for a weekly Artist's Date: An intentional weekly date with myself to nurture my inner artist and creator.  (I’ve used a new TV show – Dispatches from Elsewhere to take me away from all things work and social media.)
7) Nightly check-ins.  A short journal entry to include highs and lows from the day and where I saw Jesus that day, too.  Check!
8) Date night 2X a month.  Take out counts, right? 
9) Get 7.5+ hours of sleep each night – depends on the night.
10) Daily devotions.  The 21-day love devotional has been a huge help here.  Thanks for writing, friends. 
11) Weekly friend dates.  So far, those are zoom meetings, but hey, they are happening. 
So, back to today’s Bible verse…I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. 
Yup, I can. 
But a reminder, too, that I don’t have to do ALL THE THINGS. 
It’s okay in a challenging time to let some things go.
It’s okay to not add more things to your list right now.
It’s okay to let some things go. 
You have the strength through Christ to do exactly what you are called to do right now. 
Remember that. 
Amen. 


And now for a few announcements.

Noon Devotionals continue this week – Monday-Friday.
Maundy Thursday – worship at 7pm
Good Friday – worship at 7pm
Easter Sunday – Worship at 9am
Please call the church office with any prayer requests, food or grocery needs or if you can help with food or grocery trips. 
Continue to keep yourselves and others safe at this time. 
Our time apart, as hard as it is, it for the health and wellness of our greater community, state and nation.  Heed those guidelines: stay home and stay safe. 

Let us pray,
Dear God, thank you for loving us.
Thank you for the strength you give us for all that we are called to do. 
We ask you to hold in your care this day, first responders, health care workers, people collecting trash and recycling, mail carriers, and those involved in delivering food and necessities for others.  We pray for Lucy and Bonnie who are in the hospital and those who love them. 
Remember us in your kingdom as you have taught us to pray. 
Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name,
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven,
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil,
for thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever.  Amen. 

And now receive God’s blessing:
May the God of all steadfastness and encouragement grant you to live in harmony with one another…
May you depart from evil and do good. 
May you seek peace and pursue it. 
May you go from this gathering wrapped in God’s grace now and forever. 
Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment