Monday, February 4, 2019

What's your excuse?


February 3, 2019
4th Sunday after Epiphany

Psalm 71:1-6
1 Corinthians 13:1-13
Luke 4:21-30

Please pray with me,
May the words of my mouth and the meditations of all of our hearts be acceptable and suitable in your sight, O God, our rock, our strength and our redeemer.  Amen. 

An excuse becomes an obstacle in your journey to success when it is made in place of your best effort or when it is used as the object of the blame.
(Bo Bennett)

Let me say that again, an excuse becomes an obstacle in your journey to success when it is made in place of your best effort or when it is used as the object of the blame.

In light of our reading from Jeremiah today, I would also add that an excuse becomes and obstacle not just in our journeys to success but also as we follow the call of God in our lives. 

And here’s the thing, I bet we’ve all made excuses.  Right?  At some point in our lives we have made an excuse.  We’re probably all well versed in the art of excuses. 

I was particularly good at them when I was asked about attending seminary and becoming a pastor. 

When I was in high school, my pastor at the time said, have you ever thought of becoming a pastor?  My quick reply, “Nope.”

As friends lifted up gifts I had for working with youth and connecting with people of all ages, I said, “I’m not sure about this…I want to be a vet, no wait, a teacher, no wait, work with before and after-school programming, and I want to work at camp!

But you have the gifts for ministry said friends, family and people working at the seminary. 
Eventually I gave in, okay, I’ll go to seminary, but I’m NOT going to be a pastor. 

As you can see me up here, clearly God had other plans….yet even with all my excuses…here I am. 

I’m well aware that God does not call everyone to be parish pastors, I believe God calls each of us to be part of God’s plan of salvation for the whole world. 

So, what’s your excuse? 

Is it Jeremiah’s?  I’m only a boy!  Too young? 
Is it Moses’?  I am not good at speaking.
Is it Jonah’s?  I hear your call, but I am NOT going to Nineveh! 

I asked folks on Facebook this week, “Say God calls you, to be part of this plan of salvation, grace and love...what's your excuse?” 

I’m thankful for wide range of responses from people younger and older than me, male and female.  Here are a few things they said, knowing that they would be shared anonymously. 

I won’t be in control.

But So and So would be so much better at this than I would be. 

Same excuses we all use, right?
I have to take my kid to the dentist, or sports. I’m way too busy. I really need that time for “me time”.

I’m waiting until the time is right.

Maybe when my 401k is vested. Maybe after my kids graduate. I’m not talented enough in that way. It’s better not to rock the boat.

Someone else should set a precedent so I’ll know what to do. It’s not socially acceptable to get people stirred up about sensitive things.

It’s too hard to find a night that works for everyone.

But my kids need me…

A combination of self-doubt and impatience:  Am I qualified?  Why me?  How will I know what to do?  What if I fail?  Will my failure affect others?  God, I’m waiting for an answer.  What’s the plan?  No answer?  I’m not qualified…I shouldn’t do this. 

When I finish this project. 

Who would make the schedule?!!!!!

I don’t know what I’m talking about.

I don’t know how to start or what to say. I might mess up the friendship we have.

I’m not sure I can do this. 

Any of these excuses sound familiar? 

Any you would want to add to these? 

What’s your excuse? 
Looking around the room, ages aside, experience aside, how common are our excuses? 

More common than we may realize. 

Jeremiah’s vocation (calling) was in calling all members of the community back to their vocation as followers of Israel’s God.  This was Jeremiah’s mission to all the people.  (McKim)

That’s a tough call, no doubt.  When called to be a prophet, you are called upon to preach God’s word in the community of the world.  Often times, the word of God calls upon God’s people to repent, to turn from sinful ways, to respond to injustices in our communities and world, and to move into a place of action.  That’s not always easy…

Yet God never said this call would be easy. 

And as we’ve seen throughout scripture, God continues to call all people to serve God no matter what their condition, situation, or status. 

We can hear God’s call to us in Jesus Christ, no matter who we are or what we are. 
God calls and connects us with others. 

So, let’s think about this a little, together. 

Not just is God calling you, but how is God calling you to be part of this mission of salvation?

That may be the first step in this whole responding to God’s call thing…that yes, God is calling you. 

Let me affirm that.  We all have gifts that God has given us to be used in mission and service to others as part of God’s plan of salvation for the entire world. 

So, knowing that God is calling you….
What does that call sound like? 
In what areas of your life…parenthood, work, on a sports team or club at school, in the ministries of this congregation, in your circle of friends….how is God calling you? 

{These slips of paper were scattered around the sanctuary throughout worship.}



Take a moment or two to jot down your sense of call…your excuses…and if you can right now how you might say yes. 

If you want to talk more about this, please put your name on the paper. 

There will be a basket up here following the service for you to leave the papers if you want to talk more about this…or you can take them with you, place them in your Bible or devotional book at home to take time to pray about this call from God. 

Thank you for taking time to think and pray about how God is calling you to be part of God’s mission of love and grace in the world today. 

I pray that as you continue to think and pray about God’s call in your life, you are empowered, no matter who you are, to say yes. 

To be open to new and various ways God is calling you.
To be affirmed that God meant to and means to call you. 
To be ready to work with others and come together in ways that we can continue to live out God’s mission in our lives and in our world. 

Would you join me in prayer?

Gracious God,
You call us, as your beloved children. 
You have gifted each of us with the abilities needed to share your light, your love and your peace in the world. 
Help us to hear your call…and to respond with a YES. 
Surround us with brothers and sisters in Christ to guide us and guard us as we continue to work together to share your gospel message. 
And may the peace, which surpasses all understanding keep our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus and let all God’s people say, amen.  

*********************************************************************************
Post Script:  Many papers were returned and there are some followup conversations to have as well.  I'm thankful for a place where people are wiling to think and pray about how God calls them to live their lives as a part of God's plan.  How about you?  


No comments:

Post a Comment