Thursday, January 31, 2019

Growth...one month at a time

As the year is entering month two...I'm thankful to already see some growth...

As far as 19 for 2019 goes, I've already read 3 books, begun tidying up around the house and have found joy in writing handwritten notes once a week.  

I realized that I also planned on an original blog post each month (in addition to sermons/homilies) so, here we go...Jan. 31, just under the wire.  

Apparently, I work well with deadlines.  

My other area of growth, this month in particular, relates to seeing more clearly or just better.  
I have noticed that when I stand at the altar and read out of the missal (the large hymnal on the altar) it's noticeable (to me) that I'm working to focus on the words.  When I shared this with Billy and my co-workers they asked about the last time I went to the eye doctor. 

Truth is, my last eye test, if I remember correctly, was in elementary school.  That test where you looked at the chart and you used your fingers to to show witch way the E was facing.  Remember those?  I really think that is the last time someone checked my eyes.  

Needless to say, those who heard this were adamant that I call the doctor to get my eyes checked out.  
So, this week I called.  We played phone tag as the office closed early due to inclement weather and then I had a full day at work, but I'll call tomorrow to follow up and get that first appointment set.  

Sometimes growth in ourselves comes from listening to others, heeding their advice because of their care and concern for us.  When we realize that...that's when the growth happens.  

We can't always know everything.  It's humbling to realize that, but it also provides a place for growth as we learn to listed to the positive, loving and caring voices that surround us and guide us in the right direction.  

I've also started working with a running coach, which has been a fantastic experience.  It is great to get up and run the planned workout and receive feedback, support and a training plan geared specifically for me.  It's a growing opportunity for me as a way not only to reach a goal to PR in the marathon, but also to train well and safely to continue to be a life long runner.  (Lots of area of growth here...and it's very exciting!)

I'm open to new areas of growth as the year continues and I'll keep you posted.  

+peace

No comments:

Post a Comment