Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Focus on others.

And we're back...here we go, February, the focus will be on 'others'.  

I'm not really sure how this will take place, but I'm ready to give it a shot.  

My top three that I listed last night and prayed about were: others, life, family.  

I think now, more than ever, there is an importance of being present, being with and focusing on others.  For me, it means my phone is away when I am spending time with friends or family.  It means that I will be fully engaged with the people who are in my immediate surroundings.  It means for me that in a moment or a situation, it may be more important to focus on the needs, worries, concerns and joys of someone else rather than myself.  Not that it means taking time away from me, but that I am aware of the time I spend with others.  

For me it also means purposely listening to voices that are different than mine.  Voices that come from diverse backgrounds and experiences.  It means listening to others as they share stories in hopes that we can learn from one another.  It means learning my own story and how it impacts the lives of others both positively and negatively.  It means reaching out to experience the lives and stories of people around me in my neighborhood and outlying community.  

It means taking the time for others each and every day...expanding my daily prayers, expanding the music I listen to, the books I read, the tweets I follow and the people I meet.  

It will be interesting to see how this shapes the next month of 2017.  

I'll be sure to keep you posted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment