Thursday, January 2, 2020

Sugar Free January? Yup!

Happy New Year!  

Instead of kicking the year off with a New Year's Resolution that I will probably break by February, for the past several years I have been choosing one word to guide and shape my year.  Last year's word was growth (which I'll relfect upon in a later post).  
This year's word is: Intentional.  
I will be intentional in my focus in my faith life - through daily devotions and reflection time. 
I will be intentional about my relationships - marriage, family friends and my family of faith at Trinity.  
I will be intentional about my presence on social media - both the people and groups I follow as well as the posts and comments I share.
I will be intentional in working toward long term goals.  Some of these include finishing projects begun years ago while also giving time to learn new skills and spend more time writing (journaling/blogging).
I will be intentional about the care of my body.  I've been working with a coach for the past year and have seen growth in my fitness and running.  I would like to see that improve, so my diet (what I eat/how I fuel my body) will be an intentional focus this year.  
That last one being said, I'm part of a group that will be partaking in Sugar Free January.  
Yup, sugar free January.  
What that means for me is eliminating any added sugars from my diet for the next 30 days.  (I successfully made it through day one!)  
I will be avoiding baked goods, candy, hot chocolate, adding sugar to my coffee, and honey to my tea to name a few.  
I will be reading labels to see what products contain hidden sugars.  The one that almost stopped me in my tracks: bacon!  
Did you know that most bacon out there is processed with sugar?  I mean, I get it, when we make barbecue we often include sugar in the rub.  I guess I didn't put much thought into it after that.  Needless to say, there are a few brands that do not include sugar - it took an internet search (thanks, Billy) and a second grocery store to take care of it.  - Crisis averted! 
I'm sure there are challenges that will arise as the month progresses that will surprise me.  I do know that eating out and going to people's homes for meals will be the hardest.  But I will do my best to eat as sugar free as I can in those situations - no desserts, passing on processed salad dressing, and staying away from ketchups and barbecue sauces.  
Why share this publicly?  
A few reasons:  
One, to let family and friends know that I am making this change for this month.  I'm not doing it for attention or to draw others in (although Billy is along for the ride) but so people are aware of why I'm eating or not eating certain foods.  
Two, to let you all know that I am doing this with the guidance of a coach and a group of folks who are doing this as well.  
Three, to say that I am doing this because I know this is good for my body.  To be the best person, wife, friend, pastor and athlete I need to take care of this body I've been given.  Fueling it in a healthy way will help me care for my body and give it the good energy it needs.  
No doubt there will be some days when this challenge isn't perfect.  But overall, I'm committed to making a big change this month.  
Thankfully, 3 months ago I stopped putting sugar in my coffee.  That has become a daily practice that I don't even think about anymore.  (phew) Some other changes may prove to be more difficult, but I'm ready for them.  
Questions?  Let me know.  
Support?  Bring it on, I'll take it.  
Thanks for reading.
Blessings to you in the new year.  
+peace


No comments:

Post a Comment