Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Race recap: Garden Spot Village 1/2 Marathon

Alright, it's been a few days and I'm ready to reflect on Saturday's race.  It was a tough one.  It tested me mentally and physically.  If I were reflecting on it in my Sunday School class, we would use the language of highs and lows, which I think is a good was to think about the experience as a whole.  
We're going with lows first, so we end on a high note :)

At the beginning of the race, I was geared up and ready to go!


Lows: Oh, those hills.  I started off in the right pace range (set by my coach) but then it was time to speed up a bit which happened going up the first of many hills.  At that point, I couldn't catch the pace I needed.  I was so frustrated.  The tricky part is that I couldn't get outside of my head.  I wasn't hitting the right pace, and instead of being thankful for the pace I was able to run, I was frustrated that I wasn't doing what I had hoped to be doing. 
That being said, this being the first 'coached' race that I've run maybe my own expectations were too high.  (A good friend helped me realize that.)  I could've or should've had multiple plans in my head so I could have changed or helped my mental state in the middle of the run.  I held a good pace for the middle miles of the race, but the last two miles kicked my butt.  I don't think I took in nutrients as well as I could have, which showed up in those last few miles.  When I wasn't hitting my paces I thought of all the people who knew I was running...and how hard it would be to face people after I didn't run what I hoped to run.  But, it is what it is.  

This is my: 'there's the finish line and I'm sooooo done face.'



Highs: 
**I ran a half marathon on Saturday.  I don't know why I thought I would PR after not racing this distance in 3 years.  So, really to train and race this distance with a time faster than I did it three years ago is a great thing.  

**I didn't walk the hills.  They were tough and they may have slowed me down, but I ran up each hill.  There was some walking in the last few miles, but not up hills.  I feel good about that.  

**I didn't disappoint anyone but myself.  As people at church asked about the race and I said it was hard, they overwhelmingly came back with a "YOU DID IT!!"  I ran a half marathon, which is nothing to scoff at.  Some friends saw that I ran that race and said, woah, that is a tough course.  I completed it. 

**My parents saw my finish.  Thanks to the live feed on the event's facebook page, they cheered from CT.  I was thankful they were part of my race day experience.  

**My husband got some great photos that truly show my excitement, worry, physical exhaustion and pure joy of completing the race.  (Thanks, babe!) 

**My husband and I had a great outing for good beer, pizza and ice cream after the race.  It felt good to be moving around that afternoon.  


Lessons learned/growing edges:

*Double check race elevation in advance.
*Mentally, the best case scenario (getting a PR) should not be my primary goal.  I don't mean to be negative, but once I slipped away from that pace, I got super frustrated.  I should mentally prepare for an outcome that is good, but that gives room for growth mid race.  
*Better fueling/hydration and clothing plan.  It was warm on Saturday so not only did I not hydrate as well as I could have mid race, my layers were frustrating.  Training outside is great, but I've been training in the 30s and this race hit the 50s.  
*Enhance overall nutrition/fitness.  It's time to work on nutrition and building in some strength training.  
*Not every race will be the best race of my life.  (There's a lesson that I'm still learning.)

All in all a good experience.  Now that I'm a few days out, it's easier to reflect on the challenges and joys from that day.  Racing is a whole different experience than just going out for a run.  

I'm thankful for a few weeks of easy runs, getting caught up on sleep and the business and joy of Holy Week and Easter.   

Thanks for reading, for your support and continued encouragement.  

Until the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment