Thursday, March 14, 2019

Blazing through Lent.


March 13, 2019

Please pray with me,

Gracious God, as you led the Israelites through the wilderness, as you were with Joseph and Mary as they journeyed to Bethlehem, and as you journeyed with Jesus to the cross….you are with us now.  Guide our hearts, minds and bodies on this Lenten journey.  Continue to turn us toward you, creating within us clean hearts, marking us with the cross, lighting our paths and guiding us every step of the way.  In Jesus’ name we pray amen. 

I stumbled upon this illustration while preparing the homily tonight.  It came from a reflection from Adam Hearlson:
In North America and elsewhere, the outdoor trails of our parks and forests are marked with blazes. Blazes are small directional signs that assure the traveler that she is on the right path. The hike requires following the blazes.
But the blaze is not the destination, just the marker. Hikers are bound to leave the approaching blaze in the past. The marker is a reminder that you are on the right trail and that while you might not see another marker for a while, it will show up.
Indeed, if you travel far and don’t see a marker, it is time to backtrack and remember where the last time you saw a marker.

The trail marker is not just reassurance that you are on the right path, it is also a reminder that the trail is bigger than any one person. It’s not just there for you…it’s there for anyone who hikes this trail.  And the goal of the marker is to keep all hikers safe and on the right path.  (http://www.workingpreacher.org/preaching.aspx?commentary_id=2938)

For me, the season of Lent is like the blazes on a hiking trail, a reminder during the year, to turn to God, to stay on the right path, to be guided by God in my everyday life.  I’m a pastor (you knew that already) but the struggle for me is real when it comes to devotions and meditation time.  As I shared in breakfast Bible study on Monday, my current devotional after some short readings offers a time for meditation.  I have to tell you, at this point I’m good for about 5 minutes…and when I say good, as long as I inhale and say ‘God within’ and exhale and say, ‘God without’ I can focus. 

When I try just breathing, my mind wanders or I’m distracted by the cat tapping me on the shoulder or I’m drawn to take a sip of coffee or tea.  
But one of the things that Lent offers to me is the time to try this meditation and devotional practice…and that’s what it is, a practice.  And through this practice I’m drawn into a holy time and a holy space with God.  The table in my kitchen is transformed into sacred space as I read, breathe, sit in silence, pray and write. 

This daily devotional time is a blaze that sets me on a path towards God, towards Jesus’ journey toward the cross and ultimately toward the empty tomb on Easter. 

How does or can this season of Lent be a blaze in your life?  How does this season draw you closer to God in a time of prayer, worship or service?  How do the words we pray and sing in this place remind you that God’s guidance and presence is always with you? 

Because God is always present: calling us, marking us with the cross, guiding us and loving us. 

So, while we journey this path through the season of Lent and though this journey that we call life, we do so in the certain hope of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  We know that God is with us on this journey giving us blazes and signs to light up the path and point us in the right direction. 

And for that, we give God praise, just as our psalmist does this day.  Praise for God’s goodness in the world and God’s greatness seen throughout all of creation. 
We praise God in this place in song and prayer with others. 
We praise God in our devotions, meditations and prayer life outside of this building. 

May the closing verses of tonight’s Psalm be that reminder of God’s presence in this season and in our lives. 

I invite you to close your eyes, take a deep breath, and listen again to these words…

Our soul waits for the Lord;
   he is our help and shield.
Our heart is glad in him,
   because we trust in his holy name.
Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us,
   even as we hope in you.
Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us,
   even as we hope in you.

And let all God’s people say, amen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment