Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Mandatory Rest Day.

I'm in a new place with my running this (late) fall. 

After getting hooked on the Marathon Training Academy podcast, and hearing some good things about heart rate training, I've shifted my runs and gym workouts.  What that means for me is that I'm running much slower, which is okay.  Using the Maffetone Method, I'm running with a max heart rate of 136 beats per minute.  I've heard that after time, I will get faster as my body adjusts to training in that zone.  But in the meantime, I hope that training in this zone helps with fat burning, so I'll work to drop a total of 10 pounds, plus I feel good at the end of each workout, as if I could just keep going.  
It's been a while since I've felt that way at the end of a run.  I think I've been pushing myself too hard in workouts and not giving my body time to rest, recover and rebuild.  We'll see how my pace changes over the next several months.  I know it will take time, but my longer goal is to enjoy running for the next several decades. 

On my 'reading now' bookshelf are two books about running.  No surprise, really.  I've learned a lot about my body and the impact of exercise, training and eating while working my way through Run for Your Life by Mark Cucuzzella, M.D.  I heard about the book on the MTA podcast and ordered it through Two River Treads, Mark's running store.  The best part about receiving the book from a local (not to me) running store means it came with a personalized note.  


It's been a good read so far with not only helpful background information, but also drills to incorporate into day to day life.  

The other book on my night stand is Strong: A runner's guide to boosting confidence and becoming the best version of you by Kara Goucher.  It's fantastic.  While sharing her own experiences, she shares techniques that I have started to adapt to my training and recovery.  Not to mention questions to help me ponder both short term and long term goals in training and as a life long athlete.  


Between these two books, I'm in the process of a few things.  
1) Slowing down to speed up.  - I know there's speed in me and if I can train at a better heart rate, I'll get there and it will be better for me in the long run.  

2) Breaking 4 hours in the marathon.  (That's my big goal.)  It will take time to get there, but that's okay.  In the meantime, I'm bringing yoga and strength training back into my workout rotation and plan on building up mileage prior to marathon training, so I don't just jump into intense training when my body isn't ready for it.  

3) Taking better care of myself through better eating.  My goal is to drop 10 pounds (2 down, 8 to go!)  That means watching what I'm eating in a way to fuel my muscles and help them repair during rest days and focusing on hydration.  You know, the basics.  

So yeah, good goals, inspiring authors and athletes and then on yesterday's run, I fell.  
Yup, just like that, caught the change in the sidewalk with my toe and down I went.  


Luckily with winter layers, I was pretty well padded.  As you can see, my right hand (and essentially my whole right arm) took the brunt of the fall.  Amazingly, I did not hit my head or break anything.  
But today became a rest day.  Last night I was achy in my right arm going up to my shoulder.  Today as the day has gone on, the ache has continued.   


Luckily, all I need is a new pair of gloves, some rest and a heating pad.  
We'll see how I feel tomorrow.  

Thanks for reading.  

+peace



No comments:

Post a Comment