Monday, January 7, 2013

stuffed shells: two ways.


In Rachael Ray's last magazine one of the items on the bucket list was to try a new recipe in each cookbook in the house....I'm trying to work through all of my cookbooks this year.  We'll see how it pans out.  Some readers will probably be involved in the tastings....others will just read and savor.  :)
In any event, enjoy...and try a new recipe!

The Book: Rachael Ray 2, 4, 6, 8 Great Meals for Couples or Crowds


The book is on the island...you can see it opened up to the right page....it's next to the zester, 1/2 an onion an open container of ricotta cheese and some jars of sauce.  

The Recipe: (p. 52) Mega Meat-Stuffed Shells

Chef's Notes: So, growing up when we had stuffed shells they were stuffed with ricotta cheesy goodness.  I love them.  Truth be told....I made some ricotta cheesy goodness to stuff a few shells tonight.  The fun part was mixing ricotta, mozzarella, an egg, oregano, basil, salt & pepper and nearly pouring it into the shells.  It was fun to make it up as I went along.  Meanwhile, back to the 2013 Great Cookbook Challenge....it was fun to try a meat & veggie filling for the shells.

First, (well, earlier I started the water for the shells) I sauteed a pound of meatloaf mix, added some onion, garlic, nutmeg, and s&p....


all that was happening while I thawed some frozen spinach in the microwave...and drained it in the sink.




Here's the cheesy goodness I mentioned earlier...

(Delsym was not included in this recipe in any way.)

And, well, there are no pictures of the final product.  Sorry.  I pulled it out of the oven after my company arrived, so it went straight to the table with a side of garlic bread and extra sauce just because.  

The Verdict: I'm already looking forward to leftovers tomorrow.  This is a do-over....and the combo of the cheesy goodness and and the scrumptious meatiness would work really well layered together in a lasagna.....

Until the next recipe . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment